I wasn't sure if I had posted this picture earlier.Our youngest daughter and her husband went to Washington DC earlier this summer.They took some nice pictures and wanted to share them with me.Since my grandson is studying national symbols and monuments in first grade I thought I would share a picture of The Washington Monument.I grew up in the Washington DC area and remember many visits to The Washington Monument.Back then you could climb the stairs to the top.Don't think that is allowed any more but I might be wrong.Don't know if y'all know this fact about The Washington Monument.If you look about 1/4 of the way up from the ground you will notice that the monument is a lighter color marble.I copied and pasted the following to further explain the building of The Washington Monument:
Work progressed favorably until 1854, when the building of the monument became involved in a political quarrel. Many citizens became dissatisfied with the work and the collection of funds lagged. This unfortunate affair and the growing antagonism between the North and South, which resulted in the Civil War, brought construction to a halt. For almost 25 years, the monument stood incomplete at the height of about 150 feet. Finally on August 2, 1876, President Grant approved an act which provided that the Federal Government should complete the erection of the monument. The Corps of Engineers of the War Department was placed in charge of the work.
In 1880, work was resumed on the shaft. The new Maryland marble with which the remainder of the monument is faced was secured from the same vein as the original stone used for the lower part. It came from a different stratum, however, which explains the "ring" noticeable on the shaft. The walls of the memorial reached 500 feet on August 9, 1884, and the capstone was set in place on the following December 6, marking the completion of the work. The monument was dedicated on February 21, 1885, and opened to the public on October 9, 1888.
In 1880, work was resumed on the shaft. The new Maryland marble with which the remainder of the monument is faced was secured from the same vein as the original stone used for the lower part. It came from a different stratum, however, which explains the "ring" noticeable on the shaft. The walls of the memorial reached 500 feet on August 9, 1884, and the capstone was set in place on the following December 6, marking the completion of the work. The monument was dedicated on February 21, 1885, and opened to the public on October 9, 1888.
Another interesting fact that I remember from my childhood is that no other building in Washington DC can be taller than The Washington Monument.
We received some much needed rain today that is bringing in cooler temperatures.Now they are saying that tomorrow will be in the upper 60's to low 70's which is normal for us at the end of September.
I was feeling a little better today so managed to walk a little more and ride my stationary bike.
Thursday September 27th...7.365 steps....3.5 miles
5 comments:
My daughters have been to Washington DC but I have never been. I have been told it is very interesting trip to go on.
I've never been either but enjoyed your beautiful picture and the history about the monument.
You are right, you are no longer allowed to walk up the stairs. You have to take an elavator. I've been in it a few times. The first time walked up the stairs (actually raced a few people up them) and the other times had to ride the elavator. I think it takes the fun out of it, but there was just too much vandalism to keep the stairs open.
Nice picture!!
I was in DC in Feb 1966. I visited th Monument with my brother and his wife. They walked up the stairs to the top, while I waited at the bottom, too afraid to go up that high! If I went today, I wouldn't get in an elevator either to go to the top!
Thanks for the nice history, Nancy!
Such a beautiful photo!
Glad y'all finally got some rain! I know we could use some here, too.
Post a Comment