Don't remember if I posted these two pictures of The White House last year or not.I took them last May when we were sightseeing in D.C.The pictures did not download in the order that I had hoped so you will see the back of The White House before the front of The White House.The first picture was taken at the back of The White House and the second picture was taken at the front of the White House.
The front of The White House is on Pennsylvania Avenue.The part of the road running directly in front of The White House is no longer open to traffic.That section of the road has been turned into a pedestrian walk area which I thought was really nice.This was the first time I had been there since that section of the road was closed and turned into the pedestrian walk area.That was done for security reasons after 9/11.
Even though we were there on May 10th the weather was quite cool for early May.As you can tell by the pictures it was an overcast day and the wind was quite brisk.The weather was fine for walking.At least we didn't have the heat and humidity that arrives in the area every summer.
Having grown up in the Washington DC area Inauguration week and the festivities were always a special time.When I was in school we always got off of school for Inauguration Day.Looking back I now understand more fully why we got the day off from school.With the influx of people coming into the DC area for the Inauguration that makes it hard for those that live in the area to get around the city and suburbs.
I've been reading with interest all of the planning and security that is going into Tuesday's Inauguration.I will be watching the Inauguration on TV on Tuesday.That is something I look forward to and do every 4 years after an election.
1 comment:
I like visiting the DC area with all the history. However, this is one week I don't mind staying clear of the area. Way too much traffic and people for me. I too will watch from the comforts of home.
Post a Comment