Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Back Home

I wrote this the other day.I've been having problems downloading the picture to go with the post.Thought I would go ahead and post this now and try later to add a picture or two.The picture was suppose to be a picture of The Washington Monument.Hope to get it posted later today.


I hadn't even realized that it had been awhile since I last wrote.The last week or so has been so busy.



This past weekend was my dad's memorial service in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC.It was a fast trip since we left on the drive Friday afternoon and returned home late Sunday night.



The memorial service for both my dad and brother was very nice.They both passed away from lung cancer last year.My brother Dave passed away in February of 2007 and my dad passed away the day after Christmas.



It was a sad time but it was also nice to see my relatives that I hadn't seen for some time.There was also a remembrance for my mother.She passed away in July of 1975.She was only 52 then.



After the memorial service we took the subway train into DC for some sightseeing.Our seven year old grandson Jeremy was so excited about seeing The White House,The Washington Monument and The Lincoln Memorial.



The picture that I posted was taken by our daughter at the top of the stairs at The Lincoln Memorial.We walked all over to see the different monuments.Our grandson was getting so tired but he was determined to take the long walk down the reflecting pool to The Lincoln Memorial.We didn't make it to The Jefferson Memorial or the Capital building.



Maybe next year we can work it out to see the capital building,The Jefferson Memorial and Arlington Cemetary.



It was so nice to see how clean the city remains.I worked a block from The White House in the early 1970's.It was a clean and safe city then so it thrilled me to find out that it remains the same.Not much has changed except for old government buildings being torn down and new ones built.



I liked the look of the pedestrian area in front of the White House instead of all of the traffic going by on PA Ave the way it was before 9/11.

2 comments:

Linda said...

So sorry about your Dad and Brother. I'm glad you were able to set aside a time to remember them by. Hold on to your memories!
My husband travels to DC often for work and I go along - I love looking a the city and all the memorials.

Unknown said...

The picture is beautiful!
I'm glad you were able to go to the memorial service. I'm also glad you were able to take the grandchildren sightseeing in our nation's capitol.