Wednesday, May 21, 2008

White House Gate


This is the back gate to the White House.I really appreciated how ornate it was.It didn't dawn on me till we returned home how the front gate is no longer used.The front gate was used, I believe up until 9/11.After 9/11 Pennsylvania Ave in front of the White House was closed to traffic.It was then turned into a pedestrian area which is very nice.I can remember the news showing the President's motorcade leaving and entering and front gate when I was growing up.

The odd thing is that the front iron fence is a lot nicer than the back iron fence.You would think that they would replace the back iron fence to match the front iron fence but I guess they have their reasons for not doing that.

My grandson was asking me questions about the White House yesterday which I couldn't answer.I need to do some research.He wanted to know when it was built etc..I saw on The White House website last night that you need to make reservations with your congressman way ahead of time if you want a self guided tor of The White House.It was noted that purses,back packs among other things are not allowed.I can understand the security reasons but that means you need to plan well before taking a White House tour.

So glad my pictures are downloading much easier now.I have more pictures to share in days to come.

5 comments:

dot said...

The gate is very pretty. A young man from my neighborhood in Alabama grew up and because an FBI man and was one of the men who guarded Clinton. I don't know if he's still doing that or what.
That must have been a really exciting trip. It's good that your grandson wants to know more.

Linda said...

I've been to DC many times - but have yet to be able to tour the Whitehouse - I would love to do that. Just can't seem to remember to contact Congressmen in time for visit.

Andrea said...

Beautiful gate. I have never been to DC but my oldest daughter went on a band trip.

Susan in SC said...

Beautiful pictures Nancy!

Happyone said...

I walked right by that gate yesterday May 26th and remembered seeing it on your blog. :-)