Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oatmeal-Raisin Squares


On yesterday's Martha Stewart show she made these most delicious looking oatmeal raisin squares.Since I had all of the ingredients on hand I thought that I would make them.They are quite yummy so I will share the recipe here.This is recipe from the Martha Stewart show so I will give her credit for the recipe.She was talking about Quaker Oatmeal so I'm not sure if it is a recipe from Quaker or not.

Oatmeal Raisin Squares

4 cups Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal
2 cups all Purpose Flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup pecans chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter,melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups raisins
Zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Nonstick cooking spray

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2.In a large bowl: add oatmeal,flour,sugar,pecans,baking soda and salt.Stir to combine.Add melted butter and vanilla.Stir to incorporate.Set aside

3.In a small saucepan combine: raisins,1/2 cup water,lemon zest and cinnamon.Bring to a boil over medium heat.Immediately reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.Let cool slightly.Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor.Process until almost smooth.If mixture is very liquid strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard liquid.

4.Spray 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.Transfer 1/2 of oat mixture to baking dish and press down using your hands to form an even layer.Using an offset spatula spread raisin mixture over oat layer.Top with remaining oat mixture.Press down to form even top layer.

5.Transfer to oven.Bake until golden brown on top for 35-45 minutes.Cool completely before cutting into 2 inch squares.They may be stored wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 5 days.

3 comments:

dot said...

I love anything with oatmeal!

Andrea said...

THREE STICKS OF BUTTER? WOW! It does look good. I have everything but raisins and pecans. Maybe I need to put that on my shopping list.

Happyone said...

They look delicious. Oatmeal cookies are my daughter's favorite. I'll write down the recipe and make them for her.